Undoubtedly, the Big Data Engineer is the most sought-after job profile today, and this role holds a great demand. If you are inclined to start your career in the field of Big Data, you undoubtedly have a great option to be a Big Data Engineer. Are you wondering how to bag this position? Here are the vital aspects of maneuvering your way to becoming a great Big Data Engineer.
Introduction to Big Data
Before getting to know how to become a Big Data Engineer, let’s quickly understand what is Big Data first.
In the early 2000s, data generation was limited. With the advent of social networks and media platforms and multinational companies’ emergence, data generation has grown in leaps and bounds. According to a report by IDC, the net volume of global Data is expected to flourish by 175 zettabytes in 2025. That’s a massive amount of data indeed. It is not just the volume of data that increases but also the speed at which it is hitting an all-time high every day.
Find the statistics from Datafloq and Statista on the Big Data and what the future has for it.
Types of Big data
There are the different types of Big Data below. Are they?
All this Data is referred to as Big Data. Big Data refers to enormous amounts of data that cannot be stored, processed, and analyzed using old-school methods. The quantity is too huge. To overcome this, various frameworks like Hadoop, Apache Storm, Spark, and Cassandra are used.
Professionals in Big data work with the help of these frameworks and now, let’s understand how to become a Big Data Engineer.
Who is a Big Data Engineer?
As mentioned earlier, data generation has increased all across the globe, but it is a complete waste if it is not used until it is processed and analyzed efficiently. Big Data helps in deriving meaningful information from it, which in turn improves the overall efficiency. Because of this, an organization can also enhance and make proper business decisions, innovate new products and compete in the market efficiently. Big Data professionals are the ones who aid this task.
The roles and responsibilities of a Data Engineer and a Big Data Engineer are interchangeable. One of the best and top roles in Big Data is Big Data Engineer. Big Data Engineers are the ones who develop, test, evaluate and maintain the Big Data infrastructure of a company. They play around with Big Data and use it wisely for the growth of the business. With the rise of Big Data, data engineers also need to handle the massive amount of Data. They get trained with Big Data skills for this matter. Therefore, a data engineer works with various Big Data frameworks and NoSQL databases to manage Big Data.
The various responsibilities of a Big Data Engineer are as follows,
Responsibilities of a Big Data Engineer
Big Data engineers have different duties, from software system designing to teaming up with data scientists and working along. Here are some of the responsibilities of a Big Data Engineer:
1. They are responsible for software systems design, implementation, verification, and maintenance.
2. They are responsible for building a robust system for data ingestion and processing
3. Big Data engineers also perform the ETL process.
4. Big Data Engineers are also responsible for researching and improvising the quality of data obtained.
5. Finally, Big Data Engineers also work along with data analysts and data scientists to solve many issues.
Above are just a few of the critical responsibilities of a Big Data Engineer. These responsibilities can be carried out only if you have strong technical skills. Below are some of the Technical Big Data Engineer skills that you have to look up to.
Big Data Engineer Skills
A Big Data Engineer must be skilled in different areas of expertise. Here are some top 7 skill sets that a Big Data Engineer should possess.
1. Programming: A Big Data Engineer needs to be an expert in any prime programming language such as Java, C++, or Python.
2. Database and SQL: Next to front-end programming skills, they need to know how to store and extract data in the database. They should excel in database management systems like MySQL, Oracle Database, and the Microsoft SQL Server. DBMS and SQL will comprehend them in managing the data.
3. ETL and Data warehousing: As you are aware, ETL is one of the predominant tasks that Big Data Engineers perform; they need to know how to build and use a data warehouse. While you complete the extraction, transformation, and a load of data from various sources into other data storage, you need to learn some of the tools used for this ETL process like Talend, IBM Datastage, Pentaho, and Informatica.
Operating System: Though it is an essential skill, you should be aware of different operating systems and have hands-on experience. As operating systems are the base for running any Big Data-related tools, you should have a strong understanding of Unix, Linux, Windows, and Solaris.
5. Hadoop tools and frameworks: Experience in Hadoop-based analytics help you in performing your tasks better. Some Hadoop-based technologies include MapReduce, HDFS, Apache Pig, Hive & Apache HBase.
6. Apache Spark: This is one of the most critical skillsets you require. As you deal with an enormous amount of data, you will need Apache Spark, which is an analytics engine. This can be used for batch and real-time processing or live streaming data from different sources like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
7. Data mining and modeling: As a Big Data engineer, you need experience in data mining, data wrangling, and data modeling techniques. Data mining and data wrangling help in pre-processing and cleaning the data through multiple ways, figuring out unseen trends and patterns in the data, and getting it ready for analysis.
Big Data Engineers also need to comprehend tools like Python, R, Rapid Miner, Weka, and KNIME to observe colossal pre-existing data and determine new perceptions by data modeling.
Above are some of the technical skillsets required to become a Big Data Engineer. The information below will help you understand how to become a Big Data Engineer.
How to become a Big Data Engineer?
If you are thinking of becoming a Big Data Engineer, you can take up certifications, which will act as a catalyst in your transition to becoming a Big Data Engineer. A few related certifications a Big Data Engineer can opt for are:
1. IBM Certified Data Architect – Big Data
2. Google Cloud Certified Data Engineer
3. CCP Data Engineer
4. Professional Diploma Program in Big Data from Taksha Smart Labz
So now, you must be wondering how Taksha Smart Labz can help you?
If you’re looking to make a career in the Big Data and Hadoop field, then the Professional Diploma in Big Data program provided by Taksha Smart Labz will be a good fit. You can learn about some essential tools in this course like Hadoop, Apache Spark, MongoDB, and Casandra.
Are you prepared to become a Big Data Engineer?
Now that you might have a brief introduction to the Big Data world, like roles and responsibilities, skillsets, and how to become a Big Data Engineer, now is the time to become a Big Data Engineer.
In addition, now you know precisely how Taksha Smart Labz can help you achieve your dream and kickstart your career in Big Data engineering by completing a Professional Diploma in Big Data.
There is no doubt that the Big Data Engineer is the most sought-after job profile today and this role holds a great demand.— Taksha Smart Labz (@Takshasmartlabz) June 13, 2022
Read More: https://t.co/cXYquJrebI #DataScience #Diploma #DataScienceCourse #LiveClasses #OnlineLearning #CareerGrowth #TakshaSmartLabz pic.twitter.com/9CCFEsGpxB